Maid of honor wedding speeches can be a tricky to get right.Â As the maid of honor, you may also find little time to spend preparing the speech amongst all the other wedding preparations.Â In the end, though, it will be worth the effort, as it is a privilege to be able to speak on behalf of the bride and your best friend.
1. Be who you are. It may sound odd, but many people try to put on a new persona on stage. And that’s not necessary. The bride chose you for who you are. Unlike the best man’s speech, the maid of honor’s wedding speech does not have to be filled with jokes and embarrassing tales of the bride and groom.Â It can be a little more sincere and girly!Â
2. Talk about concrete, personal memories. Your trick for an interesting speech is to include some personal thoughts and stories that relate you and the bride in particular.Â You do not want your speech to be the same as anyone else’s or to steal the thunder of the bride’s or mother of the bride’s speech.Â Expressing appropriate personal details will ensure your speech is unique and well-received by the wedding guests.Â It should provoke a little laughter from everyone, and especially the bride.
3. Stay away from clichÃ©s and generalities. More commonly mentioned details should be kept to a minimum, as they will most likely already have been spoken about in previous speeches.
4. Keep the tone light and fun. The tone of maid of honor wedding speeches should be light.Â Mention how much you have enjoyed participating in this special day and your personal take on the future relationship (provided that it is in favor of the bride and groom!).
5. Don’t stress yourself trying to memorize. You do not need to memorize the whole speech, and it needn’t be too lengthy either.Â Become familiar with the first few lines and refer to your notes when you need to, trying to make eye contact with the bride and guests as often as possible.
It’s often tough for a nervous maid of honor to look confident and relaxed. And even if you could look confident, you won’t enjoy the evening. It’s far better to be relaxed.
Here’s the point you don’t want to miss.
There’s no reason these days not to deliver a great speech with little prep time and stress.
There’s a kit that helps you create maid of honor wedding speeches in no time at all. It’s really inexpensive (and if you click the link above, you can get a discount) and covers everything from speeches, to jokes, to wedding etiquette.